Monday, July 24, 2006

:anime: Jinkies! ADV Puts Out Their First Press Release for Jinki:Extend!

(*shivers* As much as I don't like Scooby Doo, I couldn't resist... XP )

ADV Films announced a September 5th release date for one of their most recent acquisition in Jinki:Extend last week. The press statement makes it sound like some sort of Gravion-ish title with its "beautiful babes/girls" moniker plastered across it, though there is a slight sliver of truth in it (not to mention Shiva's propensity for kissing other women for little or no reason). Otherwise, they are pretty much on the mark with its synopsis and the trailer (right-click, "Save Target As...") [Hi-Band] [Lo-Band] they posted on their site doesn't try to make it out into something it is not (Aoba's English dub voice sounded pretty good for the role). This aside, the show itself is a very good one, backed by an unconventional and very (if not ridiculously excessive) complex plot, which can be thanked in part to its pacing. I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it a "masterpiece" like ADV has, but I would call it one of the more understated giant robot anime in recent memory. I suppose they have to hype it up somehow (most of those who already saw it have given it good marks anyway), though their acquiring of the OVA was not too surprising, given that they already distribute the manga it was based on. I will definitely keep an eye out for the premiere volume once it debuts in the next month or so.

P.S.: I hope that the OVA special was also licensed by ADV, since I haven't seen it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment